Bariatric surgery for the treatment of morbid obesity is exploding around the world. More and more bariatric surgery centers open frequently, and the market gets more competitive. Finding a trusted bariatric surgery center is more challenging than ever, as there is a constant battle between price and quality.
Is the company your working with simply a name? A P.O. box? A website? Or is it a REAL company?
What is a Bariatric Surgery Center?
A bariatric surgery center is a medical facility that provides weight-loss surgical procedures. These procedures include gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, duodenal switch, gastric balloon, revision surgery, and many more options.
Bariatric surgery is a huge tool to lose weight, but also is proven to cure many health problems and diseases associated with obesity. Some major health problems include type 2 diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea, and a list of other concerns.
Most bariatric surgery centers are quite costly, especially those in the United States and Canada that are not covered by insurance. The affordable alternative is finding a bariatric surgery center in Mexico.
Bariatric Surgery Centers in United States
Accredited Bariatric Surgery Centers in the United States have certifications by several organizations to build trust in health care. Certifications like SOEMBS, and MBSAQIP offered by:
- SRC Surgical Review – Center of Excellence
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
Bariatric Surgery Center in Mexico
Traveling to a different country when seeking a bariatric surgery center is called “Medical Tourism.” It has grown into an exceedingly viable resource for low-cost bariatric surgery. Often times, these weight loss centers in Mexico offer high-quality bariatric procedures.
The trick is finding the best bariatric surgery center that has a perfect balance of quality and quantity.
What to Look For in a Bariatric Surgery Center?
Research the Bariatric Surgery Center
Extensive research is important when looking into a bariatric surgery center. Look beyond their website. Dive deep into reviews, testimonials, and experience.
- Does it facilitate surgery in the United States?
- How long have they been in business?
- What credentials do they have?
- Are the certified by the Better Business Bureau or Medical Tourism Association?
- How many reviews and testimonials do they have?
What is included in their cost? Is it all-inclusive?
- Are there any hidden fees?
- What is included in the bariatric surgery costs?
- What is not included in the surgery price?
- Ask about costs of hospital, hotel, surgery fees, pre-op and post-op testing, and transportation
Transparent Bariatric Surgery Center
- Is the company easy to reach via phone, text, or email?
- Are they open and honest?
- Profit-driven or result-driven?
- Why is it such a low price/high price for weight loss surgery?
- Do they have patient coordinators that walk you through the journey?
- Do they sound caring, knowledgeable, and honest?
- What is their bariatric surgery satisfaction rate?
- Who are the bariatric surgery center surgeons?
- How many bariatric surgeries have they performed?
- Are the board-certified bariatric and metabolic surgeons?
- What is their complication rate?
Hospital or Facility
- Is the weight loss procedure done in a certified hospital? (not a facility)
- Is the hospital dedicated strictly to bariatric surgery?
- Does it have an ICU (intensive care unit) in case of an emergency?
Nutritionist and Dietitian
- Do they offer a nutritionist and dietician to walk you through the pre-op and post-op surgery process?
- After-care support?
- Are they certified?
Specialized Surgery Liaison
- Do they offer a medically certified expert to speak with at any time of day?
What You Need to Know About Bariatric Surgery Costs
The lowest price doesn’t mean it’s your best option. With little regulation, any bariatric surgery center can be on the world wide web. Regardless of legitimacy, any medical company can have a professional website. You need to do extensive research. Some bariatric surgery centers use assistant surgeons instead of certified surgeons to perform the procedure at a significant price cut. Look for reputable weight loss surgery centers that have been around for a while.
Bariatric surgery is a life-changing operation. Make sure you do it right and find the best bariatric surgery center for you! Don’t cut corners and don’t disregard bad reviews because of the cheapest price.
Mexico Bariatric Center: How to Find a Trusted Bariatric Surgery Center in Mexico?